The smell was Heaven! It was very quick and easy and tasted fantastic. The omnivore said when it was in the pan, “Oh, you’re sneaking that vegetarian stuff in on me.” No. I’m not sneaking. I’m on day four-ish though of meatlessness. It requires experimentation.
I was still eating while attending my online master’s degree class. Thankfully, I finished before it was my turn to talk. 🙂
I think to save time, I can have the spinach/mushroom mixture cooked before. I just had enough for three quesadillas and two were eaten by the omnivore. (Yep, that good.) Also, next time, I will serve it with something wet like salsa.
Spinach and Mushroom Quesadillas
from: Martha Stewart
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces (2 1/4 cups) button or cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces (about 8 cups) prewashed spinach, shredded
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 8 flour tortillas (8-inch)
- 8 ounces (2 cups) pepper Jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a 12-inch skillet over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon oil. Cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until lightly golden, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until they’re tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add spinach in two batches, letting the first batch wilt slightly before adding the next; cook until spinach is completely wilted and mixture is dry, 2 to 3 minutes total. Season with salt and pepper.
- Brush one side of tortillas with remaining tablespoon oil. Place 4 tortillas, oiled sides down, on two baking sheets. Layer each tortilla with cheese, spinach mixture, and more cheese, dividing evenly. Top with the remaining 4 tortillas, oiled sides up, and lightly press to seal.
- Bake until cheese has melted and tortillas are golden brown, turning them once, about 10 minutes. To serve, cut quesadillas into quarters.